I’m looking forward to Memorial Day weekend and eating lots of good food with friends. I whipped up this recipe on my Big Green Egg for Nourish and Flourish. It’s so good with that added smokey flavor. This recipe can also be baked in the oven using the same time and temperature.
Remove the pits from your cherries and slice them in half. You may use frozen cherries, if preferred. Allow them to thaw completely first or it will take longer to bake and the crumble may burn.
Ready for the EGG!
Set your EGG to 350° F / 175° C. Make sure to use a ConvEGGtor to bake evenly.
An easy to make dessert for bar-b-ques with family and friends!
Cherry Pecan Crumble
- Small bowl
- Medium bowl
- Large bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Food processor
- 10-inch baking pan or cast iron bakeware
- Big Green Egg
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups fresh or frozen sweet cherries pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar packed
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick) cold, diced
- ½ cup quick oats
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon optional
- ½ cup pecans finely chopped
- Set the EGG for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor at 350° F / 175° C.
- Grease a pan or skillet with butter. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar.
- Using a medium bowl, toss cherries with lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Pour flour-sugar mixture into cherry mixture. Using your hands or a spatula, coat the cherries evenly. Allow cherries to marinate while making the crumble.
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Add cold, diced butter. Pulse until butter is about pea-sized. Transfer to a large bowl.
- *NO FOOD PROCESSOR? Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl with your hands then work in the cold, diced butter until the butter is pea-sized.
- Add in quick oats and half of the pecans (¼ cup pecans). Combine.
- Pour cherry filling mixture into buttered pan. Spread crumble topping evenly over cherries. Sprinkle top with the remaining pecans.
- Place pan or skillet on the EGG grid, close the lid and bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. If crumble needs more toasting on top, put pan into oven and broil to darken.
- Allow crumble to cool for 15 minutes. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.