I like a splash of Irish Cream in my coffee from time to time. Making cupcakes seemed like a good challenge as it can be tricky when using alcohol in a recipe. The taste can be overpowering or the batter can be too wet. My first batch was just that…wet. It looked great but when baked, the cupcakes cracked on top. A wet batter causes the outside to bake too quickly while the inside remains unbaked.
The batter looked great, and tasted awesome, but in the end, it didn’t hold up during the baking process.
Everything looked good, but then…cracks.
How did that happen? I was out of instant coffee so I used finely ground espresso powder in a French Press to extract the coffee flavor. I used very little water, and even though I offset liquid in the recipe by removing 2 tablespoons of the Irish Cream, it was still too wet.
I used this great unsweetened cocoa powder I found at a local farmer’s market from Machu Picchu, Peru, and my favorite Irish Cream, Carolans! Don’t skimp on ingredients. It does make a difference in the final product.
I used a Celebrate It 1A piping tip (one of my favorites) to core the cupcakes. You can also use a melon baller, apple corer, knife or a star piping tip.
The sprinkles are from Sweet Tooth Fairy, found at Michaels.
So gooey and rich! Visit the post of my Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting recipe or see it listed below!
Irish Cream Cupcakes
- 12-cup cupcake pan
- 12 cupcake liners
- KitchenAid® Professional 600 Series Mixer
- Rubber spatula
- 1 Toothpick
- Small knife
- Piping bag
- 1A piping tip
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- ¼ cup Irish Cream liqueur
MARSHMALLOW BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter room temperature
- 14 ounces marshmallow cream or fluff
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 12 cup cupcake or muffin tin with papers.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, salt, baking soda, baking powder and vanilla in large bowl or electric mixer bowl. Mix low speed for 1 minute.
- Combine instant coffee and Irish Cream together and pour half into bowl mixture. Blend on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Scrape down bowl and add remaining liquid. Beat for 1 more minute.
- Scoop batter into tin papers, about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Toothpick will come out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from pan to cool completely on wire rack.
- If adding frosting inside the cupcake, carve out the center of the cupcake with a melon baller, knife, apple corer or a large piping tip. (I like the Wilton 1M tip or a Star tip works, too.)
- Pipe the frosting in the center of the cupcake to fill then finish with a swirl on top. Add sprinkles.
MARSHMALLOW BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and extract until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar, beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until incorporated.
- Beat in marshmallow creme, or you may fold it into the butter mixture with a spatula.
- If mixture is too thick, add a teaspoon of milk, one at a time, until frosting thins.
- If mixture is too thin, add more powdered sugar, a ¼ cup at a time until frosting thickens.
- Add salt to taste. This adds balance to the sweetness.
- Pipe or spread onto cupcakes.